Individual Health Insurance Louisiana
Open Enrollment for 2018 Health Insurance is closed
To enroll under expanded Medicaid for Louisiana please call 800-318-2596
Landeche Insurance Agency is well aware that you value your health. Whether you are covering your whole family or just yourself, you need a Landeche insurance agent to personalize the policy to your specific needs. Under our Individual Health Insurance policy we offer:
- Major Medical Individual Health Insurance: insurance policy that covers more cost
- Short Term Medical if you missed open enrollment or the cost is higher then you can afford.
- GAP Insurance if you need to fill in the gaps what your insurance doesn’t cover.
The dates for the 2018 Open Enrollment for individual health insurance were November 1, 2017 and ended on December 15, 2017. However, there are some exceptions that would allow you to get coverage outside of the Open Enrollment dates, such as having a new baby; losing group health insurance coverage at work; moving to an area outside of your current service area; as well as many others.
Fine for not having Health Insurance
If you fail to purchase health insurance in 2017, you will have to pay a fine. The fine amount for 2017 is a one-time fee of $695.00 per person and $347.50 per child under 18, or two (2.5%) percent of your income, whichever is greater. Exemptions will be granted if you have a financial hardship, genuine religious objections, and others. (see below)
You may also be able to qualify for a Government Subsidy to help pay for your health insurance. The amount you can get depends on your family size and income. Contact us and we would be happy to check to see if you are eligible for a subsidy and provide you with an estimate on how much that subsidy might be.
If you cannot get a government subsidy and can’t afford health insurance for you and your family you may be able to enroll in medicaid.
Insurance companies cannot refuse coverage for pre-existing conditions. They also cannot charge you more for health problems. You can get Individual Health Insurance now even if you were refused in the past because of health problems. It would be first day coverage so if you get an effective date of 4/1/2015 the plan would pay for your medical needs even if you have been or being treated for a health problem.
All plans have to cover the basic Essential Health Benefits but not all plans will be the same. Some plans will offer more benefits so it is important that you talk with an independent insurance agent about all of your choices.
Please let me know if you have questions about our health insurance providers or need a health insurance quote. Call us 24/7 at 504-228-7184.
You may be exempt for buying health insurance if any of the following took place.
- Became homeless
- Have been evicted in the past six months, or is facing eviction or foreclosure
- Received a shut-off notice from a utility company (gas or electric)
- Experienced domestic violence (you will need a police report)
- Recently experienced the death of a close family member
- Recently experienced a fire, flood, or other natural or human-caused disaster resulting in substantial damage to individual property.
- Filed for bankruptcy in the last six months
- Incurred medical expenses in the last 24 months that resulted in substantial debt
- Experienced unexpected increases in necessary expenses due to caring for an ill, disabled, or aging family member
- Expect to claim a child as a tax dependent that has been denied coverage in Medicaid and CHIP, and another person is required by court order to give medical support to the child. In this case, the individual would not have to make a payment for the child.
- Determined ineligible for Medicaid because your state did not expand eligibility for Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.
- Lost insurance coverage because your individual plan was cancelled and believes other available coverage options are unaffordable. ( It can’t be cancelled for non-payment)
- If the lowest bronze plan cost more then 8.16% of your income.
Book an appointment
Why you should sign up with us:
1. Help with any problems with the health market place. (I will need to call them once to authorize us to speak on your behalf.)
2. Fill out appeal forms and help you with the whole process if an appeal is needed, a process that is very time consuming.
3. Fill out a hardship form if you have a hardship. (This way you will not owe a fine at the year’s end for not having health insurance)
4. upload any documents the health market place is requesting.
5. We will address any other problems you may have in the year.